Visual Interface Standard’s
Use your research skills to investigate visual interface standards, and identify
how you might need this knowledge whilst working in the media industry.
1) What is a video interface standard?
a) The format and method by which the video signal is transmitted,
between its source and the display.
2) Which of the following would you need to know the video interface for to
display the video correctly?
a) LED TV
b) Blu-Ray player
c) Desktop Dell PC
d) CRT monitor
e) Playstation 3
f) DVD player
g) Sony Z1 to video monitor
3) List the main video interface standards in the space below.
4) Which of the video interface standards are commonly used for digital or
high definition video signals?
DVI and HDMI
5) What is HDMI an acronym for?
High Definition media interface
6) Does HDMI transmit both video and audio? Yes
7) Does HDMI compress the video signal? No
8) How many channels of high-resolution audio can HDMI transmit?
9) Read the following statement. Is it correct? Yes
“HDMI has a large bandwidth, which enables large amounts of digital data to
be transferred. This means that it is possible for high resolution images to be
displayed, for example at resolutions of 1280x720p or 1920x1080i.”
10) Why is there more of a need for an interface that can transmit high
resolution video nowadays?
Hint: What resolution can prosumer video cameras shoot at? How do we
There are more Blu-ray and high definition cameras available to the public.
10) What other aspect ratios and image resolutions does HDMI support?
For example; 720 x 576i PAL, 4:3
EDTV 640x480P (VGA) 720x576p (PAL) 4:3 and 16:9
11) What are the main advantages of using the HDMI interface over older
video interface standards, such as composite?
Better picture quality, Faster and more robust than composite video.
12) What does DVI stand for?
Digital visual interface
13) What are the three different types of DVI connectors? What type of signal
does each one transmit?
DVI-D (digital only)
DVI-A (analogue only)
14) Why is it preferential to transmit a digital signal, rather than converting it to
You lose the quality of the signal in the conversion.
15) What does the acronym “TMDS” stand for?
Transition minimized differential signaling
16) TMDS is;
a) A digital information format, ie/ how the information is transmitted.
17) Identify which DVI format’s have both single and dual link connectors?
DVI-D and DVI-I
18) What is the difference between single and dual link connectors? What are
the benefits of dual link?
Doubles power and increases Speed and signal quality.
18) In terms of a video image, how would you define ‘luminance’?
Brightness of picture
19) In terms of a video image, how would you define ‘hue’?
Colour of the picture
20) In terms of a video image, how would you define ‘saturation’?
21) Which of the following does the term ‘Chrominance’ refer to?
20) Across how many signals does Composite video transmit the images
luminance and chrominance?
21) What are the main problems with composite video signals?
22) Across how many signals does S-Video transmit the images luminance
23) Which video interface would provide a better image:
25) How many signals does Component video split the image into? What
does each signal transmit in component video?
26) Component connectors are often labelled YUV or YCbCr. Identify what
this label means, and which connector corresponds to each.
27) Why do you think that there is no connector for green chrominance?
28) If you had to connect a Sony Z1 to a CRT monitor to view some footage
you had just recorded what cable could you use?
29) You are a freelance editor and have been hired to edit a music promo.
You have gone to your client’s office to show her a rough cut of the promo,
which you were planning to play on your MacBook Pro, but she has asked if
you can play it on the offices LCD TV.
Using the information below, which interface cable would you use to connect
the MacBook to the LCD TV?
30) Identify each type of video interface cable:
31) Identify which type of Digital Visual Interface (DVI) connector these
diagrams display. What unique features differentiate them in the diagrams?